Child Support Lawyer Orange County
Fighting for Our Clients’ Best Interests across Orange County
A Certified Family Law Specialist by The State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization, Attorney Amy Neshanian has been successfully advocating on behalf of clients in child support matters for nearly two decades.
A skilled negotiator and experienced litigator, Irvine child support attorney Amy Neshanian works vigorously to preserve and protect her clients, while also remaining mindful of the best interests of the children. A highly proficient child support lawyer, she fights earnestly on behalf of her clients, and she possesses the requisite experience to obtain efficient and effective resolutions.
What You Can Expect with Us
We can meet with you to fully explain how the court calculates child support, including a comprehensive review of the factors that the court takes into account when making a determination of support.
At this time, Attorney Amy Neshanian will utilize the computer program used by the courts when setting child support to provide you with a preliminary figure based on the information that you provide.
Proudly representing clients in and around the region since 2002, Irvine Child Support Attorney Amy Neshanian has earned a reputation for excellence throughout the local legal community. A firm believer in maintaining excellent client communications, all emails and phone calls will be answered promptly, and we can keep you apprised of the status of your case.
Child Support Laws
California child support laws are based on the premise that both parents are equally responsible for contributing to the support of their children, and that they should enjoy the lifestyle that each can provide.
The parties may stipulate to the amount due and payable for child support; however, guideline deviations are only allowed under highly limited circumstances.
We offer legal counsel and representation in all child support proceedings, including the following:
- The initial judicial or stipulated determination of support
- Child support settlement negotiations
- Child support mediation
- Child support enforcement
- Modification of child support based on a change in circumstances
- Judicial determination of back child support/support arrears owed by the obligor parent
- Defense of the department of child support enforcement matters
Attorney Amy Neshanian is a family law attorney, and she has a thorough understanding of how child support is calculated.
Because California’s statutory child support guidelines are extremely difficult to interpret, it is critical that you retain an intelligent child support lawyer who possesses an exhaustive knowledge of each and every factor that is utilized when the court sets a support obligation.
Do You Have to Pay Child Support in California if You Have 50% Custody?
Yes, you may have to pay child support even with a 50/50 custody agreement if you are a higher-earning parent in California. Even if the parents divide legal, physical custody down the middle, a judge may order the higher-earning parent to pay child support.
Failure to do so may result in an amount that is either too high or too low, because a less experienced attorney may not necessarily understand the impact that these factors may have on a child support order.
The factors include:
- All monies earned by both parties
- Earned commissions
- Earnings derived from self-employment
- Incentive or productivity bonuses
- Income derived from investment properties
- Profits earned from business ventures
- Stock options received as employee compensation
- Unemployment, workers’ compensation, disability benefits
In addition to earnings, the following expenses must also be taken into account:
- Children from prior or later relationships
- Monies paid for the educational, emotional, and medical care for a disabled or special needs child
- Childcare/daycare expenses
- Healthcare premiums paid on behalf of the child
- The number of children to be supported
- Parental time share
- Prior spousal support obligations
- Tax deductions based on filing status and number of dependents
- Mortgage interest and deductible homeowner’s insurance
Due to the fact that Attorney Amy Neshanian possesses a comprehensive understanding of California’s child support guidelines, she can fight to ensure that her clients receive the most beneficial outcome possible.
Call an Irvine Child Support Lawyer Today for a Consultation
A compassionate and knowledgeable attorney, Amy Neshanian strives to provide the highest level of legal representation to clients throughout Orange County and other areas of Southern California. We offer free 15 minute phone consultations.